Who doesn’t love shakes? They’re easy to carry; they come in a variety of toothy flavors; they scream convenience, and they’re packed with all the nutrients one requires on a daily basis!
Since you’ve managed to seek this article out, you probably already know what meal replacement shakes are. The term is pretty self-explanatory and doesn’t require much gray matter to decode it. However, what you may not know is the fact that they’re not the same as a protein shake.
Protein shakes are designed to meet your protein requirements only, aiding you in muscle-building. On the other hand, meal replacement shakes contain protein and other vital nutrients like vitamins, minerals, complex carbs, and healthy fats. They’re fewer in calories compared to unhealthy foods, can replace an entire meal and help you in reducing weight too.
Do Meal Replacement Shakes Really Work?
Let’s get this doubt off your mind. Yes! The good news is that these shakes actually work. And many super-models, fitness trainers and other celebrities will agree. Moreover, 310 shake reviews can let you know more about the best meal replacement shakes and their benefits.
We’ll come to the topic of how they help a little later in the article. First, let us understand why most diets either fail or have a boomerang effect.
Recent studies suggest that diets can actually cause you to gain even more weight in the future. You may be just as surprised as me, but here’s why they can be ineffective:
- Anxiety and Nervous Tension – It’s a known fact that most people can’t stick to diets because of their pitiless nature. Strict diets can take a toll on your body and mind. This results in increased levels of cortisol (aka ‘the stress hormone’), thereby putting you through a great deal of emotional twinge. Psychological distress can, in turn, push you to eat junk food, contributing hugely to the birth of a belly bulge.
- Unmindful Eating – Due to the restrictions in a diet, dieters tend to feel hungry more often and are more prone to binge eat the first chance they get. This makes them put on more weight than others.
So how does a meal replacement shake help you?
A report published in 2010 in “Nutrition Journal” has shown that consumption of meal replacement shakes helped the subjects to lose about 12 percent of their total body weight over a period of forty weeks while those who were on other diets lost less than 7 percent.
- Makes you satiated for longer periods of time – If you have a shake with high protein and fiber content, and low sugar content, you’ll feel full for a longer time, helping you to lay your hands off high-calorie foods.
- Aids in controlling hunger – If you’ve had a long day at work, you’re bound to feel hungry towards evening. One shake totaling up to 100-250 calories would serve as a great evening snack. This keeps your hunger, as well as the calories in check.
- No more skipping meals – The convenience that comes with these shakes helps you to save time and effort, leaving you with no excuse to skip a meal.
How to make the most out of meal replacement shakes?
If you use these shakes correctly, you’re guaranteed to lose some baggage. Here are a few tips:
- Read the label – Scan the product labels for information about nutritional value. Experts say that the number of proteins in these shakes should be either equal to or higher than the carb content. This will help maintain your blood sugar at optimum levels.
- Always keep them handy – While you must take care not to replace all your meals with shakes, stacking up some at your workplace can help a lot. Not only will it prevent you from skipping a meal, but also make sure that you don’t surrender to unhealthy foods.
- Stoke up your workouts – Drinking half your shake about thirty minutes prior to your workout and sipping on the rest of it later, ensures that you’re fueled and prevents you from feeling hunger sooner.
- Consume it as your last course – If you have a sweet tooth, you can curb all your cravings by mixing the shake with some shaved ice and vanilla essence.
Though meal replacement shakes have plenty of benefits, you must have them in conjunction with proper meals and whole foods. These shakes are not some magic weapon that can miraculously help you lose weight, but they’re certainly a more sustainable way of losing extra kilos.